Friday, December 3, 2010

Mother Hubbard's Cupboard





Old Mother Bacon...err.. Hubbard went to her Cupboard to get her kids some food. Nope none in here. Lets check the fridge....

It's been a long 3 weeks since we went grocery shopping. Look you can see the back of my fridge! The kids are complaining there's nothing to eat and Little Miss Bacon wants to bake some cookies with Mama, but we have no eggs. So that means it's grocery shopping time. The plans are to go tomorrow, but Mother Nature seems to be as funny as mother goose and is dumping about 6 inches of snow on us tonight and thought out the day tomorrow. I'm not quite sure when I'll get to the store. I normally don't let it go this long between shopping trips and I especially try not to run out of basics like milk, butter and eggs. But someone didn't tell the germ fairy that moms are not suppose to get sick. Not only once but twice in the past 3 weeks I've been sick, first with strep and then some tummy bug. I think I met my quota of sickness for the year! We also went to visit Grandma Bacon's house for thanksgiving so that left little time for shopping. It does seem to have left a lot of time for others to eat since we're out of food!

None of this stopped the big question of the day, "what's for dinner?". What would you do if your fridge was this bare? Call for pizza? Grab some fast food? Nope not Ma bacon! You go digging though your pantry and freezer! Thankfully the freezer is fully stocked with meats. Here's what I found on my quest though the kitchen. Tonight I made quick chicken.

1 lb chicken breast- cut into small pieces
2 cups quick cooking rice
1 bag (about 2 cups) frozen veggie medley thawed
1 can cream of chicken soup
3 cups water
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp olive oil

Saute chicken in oil with favorite seasoning. Once browned, add in soup, water, veggies, pepper and paprika. Cook for 10 min or until veggies are soft. Add in rice and cook 5-10 min. longer until rice is done. Serve.

It's a great meal for a cold day like today. We're getting 6 inches of snow! (anyone want some?!) I was happy to find a half loaf of french bread in the freezer too. Add a little garlic seasoning and butter and pop it in the oven, and it's a fast complete meal. I love one dish meals, and a bonus for one's that take less than 30 minutes to make. This is great for busy week nights too when you're tempted to hit the drive though.

One challenge down, on to the next one. I need to go fill the fridge back up! It will be a great challenge to stay on budget, but I'll try my best. I'll even try to post it here along with our meal plan for the next few weeks so you can have a peek into what dinner with the Bacon's is like!

No comments:

Post a Comment