Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Equal Opportunity Bacon Lover?

So do we love all kinds of bacon at our house? You bet! But I am partial to the green kind a 'bit' more! But that yummy kind you find at the grocery store tastes a lot better! I often hear the question, "what can I do with pork?" It's a fair question, after all it's not beef or chicken, it's the other white meat. But there are a lot of delicious ways to make pork. One of our favorite is throwing it right on the grill. I can't always grill it, and that's where the oven comes into play. Tonight was one of our favorites. And I'm happy to report Little Miss Bacon actually ate it and cleared her entire plate! That's a huge accomplishment around here for our picky daughter. The other thing that I love about the recipe I made tonight is that it's easy to make.

Bacon wrapped Pork Loin

Here is what you need:



Pork loin
Potatoes
Bacon
Olive oil
seasoning- I used Weber Smoky Mesquite

I LOVE recipes that use 5 ingredients or less!

First take your potatoes and wash them. I used 7 medium potatoes for our dinner, you can adjust for how many people you are serving. Dice the potatoes and toss them in a bowl. Go preheat your oven to 375* also.

Next in a 9x13 pan, place your pork loin. Cut your bacon in half, right though the package even! Take a peek at it. I take the half that looks more lean and stick it in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow! Take out 6-7 slices from the half pack of bacon you are using for dinner and lay them on top of the pork loin. Take the remaining slices and cut them in to thin slices.



In the bowl that you placed your diced potatoes, add 2 TBSP olive oil, 2-3 tsp of your seasoning (more or less of both depending on how many potatoes you used) and the chopped up bacon.




Mix the potato mix well in the bowl. Next place the potatoes around the pork loin in the pan. If you have really lean bacon for this, you can add up to 1/4 cup of water in the pan.



Place the pan in the oven- 375* until the pork loin is fully cooked. I cooked this loin which is about 2.5lbs for almost 2 hours. If you have one of those handy food thermometers you can take your pork's temperature! Pork is fully cooked when it reaches 160*.




Here it is fresh out of the oven. YUMMY! If your bacon isn't crispy on top don't worry. You can crisp it up by turning on the broiler in your oven for a few minutes before taking it out. Watch it close since broiling browns things fast!



See my pork loin is ready for the table!
Another way to make sure your pork is done if you don't have a thermometer is to make sure it's no longer pink in the middle. Slice the pork loin, pair it with your favorite veggies- Little Boy Bacon chose corn tonight. Simple, easy to make and tastes delicious! You know you want to try it.

Can you guess what else I've been up to this week? Making yet another batch of yogurt. Seriously I can't keep up with how fast we eat this. I'm quite happy to have found an alternative to buying it all the time. I've had a few people ask about how thick the yogurt turns out. Some of these people have tried to make their yogurt in a crock pot and have had their yogurt turn out runny. Even with my first batch, it wasn't that runny. But now that I've perfected my recipe here is to show just how thick the yogurt turns out. This is vanilla, made with 1% milk.



It's not moving! Need a bit more proof...



Still won't fall out into my bowl. That's thick, creamy yogurt!

Thanks to all my readers, old and new. I love how many of you are stopping in to see what's going on at the Bacon house! Keep stopping back, I have lots of great things planned. Especially some ways to keep the kids busy this summer. Are you curious how the cloth diapers are coming along? I also have some great cloth diaper posts coming up too!

2 comments:

  1. I can't seem to get my crockpot yogurt right - what is your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my blog! I don't make crockpot yogurt, I make it on the stove and use caning jars and a cooler to incubate it. I think it works out faster and you get thicker yogurt. You can click on the side tab for yogurt to find the recipe and ways I've used it or improved it. Here's the quick link too! I hope enjoy it!

    http://baconinmypocket.blogspot.com/2011/03/lessons-learned-but-it-tastes-good.html

    ReplyDelete