Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sometimes you just need some comfort

Ahhh...comfort food. Everyone has their favorite right? Mr. Bacon's is hot dogs, really I'm not sure how he can eat so many! One of mine is a childhood favorite. But I have to warn you, I think I'm the only person out there that eats it! Ok I can maybe think of two others, Grandma Bacon and Sis Bacon, none of the Bacon kids will try it (perhaps Bacon bit will enjoy it, I craved it enough while he was inside me baking!), neither will Mr. Bacon despite the fact it has hot dogs in it! This does make me a bit sad since I don't think this recipe will live on, which is why I'm posting it here, perhaps there is another crazy reader out there that will decide they like this enough to make it too!

Regardless, I still make it as a special treat for my self on occasion. And every time I do I remember back to when my mom would make it for us kids. I can still remember the beat up old fry pan (I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with the many times one of us kids dropped it) she made it in. I'm sure Grandma Bacon made it because it's pretty easy and a cheap meal (thrifty lessons started early for me!) that would feed some hungry kids, besides how yummy we thought it was!

So I know I've gotten you wondering what it is. And I'll say this, even if you don't like my comfort food, keep reading because I'm sure you'll love the 'mommy treat' I have posted at the end!

So this recipe has no 'exact' amounts that I use, it's all measured by 'guess' you could say. I'll try my best to add what I think are approximate amounts to the measurements for you.

Noodles, eggs and hot dogs:
2 handful's of wide egg noodles (about 1-1.5 cups uncooked noodles)
2-3 hot dogs cut up
2-3 eggs, depending if you prefer more or less eggs, I prefer more!
a splash of milk- about 1 tbsp per egg
dash of salt & pepper
spoonful of butter- about 1 tbsp

Boil noodles according to package, drain and rinse. Place in skillet with cut up hot dogs and butter. Cook over med heat, stirring occasionally until bottom of noodles start to brown.



While that is in pan cooking, in bowl mix eggs, milk, salt & pepper well with fork (like making scrambled eggs). Once noodles start to brown on bottom, add eggs to pan. Stir until all egg is cooked well and no runny egg left.



Now for me I usually will leave this in the pan once the egg is cooked for a few more minutes to insure the noodles start to get a little crispy on the bottom. Place it on a plate and true to kid nature, I eat mine with ketchup! Ok, that's the one part of this meal my kids did decide they liked, they eat EVERYTHING with ketchup. Some days I think I should have bought stock in ketchup. By now some of you probably think I've gone completely crazy (no Mr. Bacon, you can not agree with them!). But there is something about eating a meal you had when you were a kid that takes you back to your childhood. So please share yours with me! I love to read your comments!

Now on to that yummy 'mommy treat' I mentioned above. Trust me, this will appeal a lot more to most of you. Ever have one of those moments when you just are craving chocolate? Open the pantry only to find you did actually eat that last hidden chocolate bar you thought was still there. Can't run to the store, what to do? What to do? I make these yummy treats. But SHHHHH... they're a secret! Because some treats we need to just keep for mommy!

Mommy secret:
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter (about 1.5 tbsp normal size)




Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute or until chocolate chips are melted. Stir in Peanut butter.



Drop by tablespoons onto wax paper covered plate. Place plate in freezer for 5-10 minutes until chocolate cools.



Once cooled, peel off wax paper and ENJOY! They taste a lot like a peanut butter cup. One of my favorite things about these is they don't take long to make, which means I can cure my chocolate fix fast!

Keep these hidden in the freeze if you have any leftover. You don't want the kids finding them! Also they melt very fast in your hands (hey they're not M&M's!) and at room temp so they are best eaten straight from the freezer. I hope these help you out next time you are in need of some chocolate fast!

1 comment:

  1. Just made these yum. Made 6 but was wondering why mine looked so much smaller than yours.....well i only used 1/4c semi sweet chips. Oops but all well it was plenty for me my belly and my diet.

    ReplyDelete