Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Bacon in My Pocket!

What a crazy wonderful year here on Bacon in My Pocket.  It's hard believe a year ago I took over my own little space of the web.  I have to say I've enjoyed it.  I love showing how easy it can be to make things yourself at home and save some money while doing it.  And I have to say a HUGE THANK YOU to my readers.  You guys make me want to come back and post more!   I hope you continue to enjoy Bacon in My Pocket and please feel free to pass this site on to others, I do appreciate it.

So in honor of the first birthday here, I had to do something special.  And what is a birthday without some cake right?!  I must be crazy to make cake, after all I will be eating a lot of cake this month with Bacon Jr. and Little Boy Bacon's birthdays next week.  But I've been wanting to try this recipe for a while now and really, can one eat too much cake?




 Rainbow cake in a jar:



What you need:
White cake mix (feel free to make your own. I managed to buy a bunch on clearance after Easter that I'm still using up)
8oz glass jars (half pint size)
food coloring
frosting

Pretty easy right!
Start by washing your jars and letting them dry completely.  Dig out 6 small bowls and your food coloring. I found that I prefer the food color paste to the liquid drops.  They seem to give a better color when I use them. 



Mix up your cake using the directions on the box.  Preheat your oven to 350* also. Once the batter is all mixed up, divide it amongst your bowls.  You don't have to have the same amount in each bowl so just dump some in. 
 
 Next add in your food colors. I did the colors of the rainbow.  Ok so they are more a pastel rainbow, I found out I'm running low on food color paste and had to mix some colors to get what I needed. 
 
 Then it's time to add the batter to your jars.  I did spray my jars lightly with cooking spray before adding the batter.  I added a heaping teaspoon (the kind I eat my cereal with, not a measure spoon) to each of the jars, one of each color.  I just dumped them in and didn't matter how they laid in the jar to make stripes or anything. The only thing to keep in mind is not to fill the jars beyond half full or else they will rise extremely high above the jars and might even bake all out of them making a huge mess. 
 Aren't they pretty!
 Next place them in a shallow baking dish, I used a 9x13 pan.  Add in water until you reach about 1/4-1/2 inch in the bottom. This will help prevent the glass from breaking in the oven.  Place them in the oven for about 30 minutes.  The tops of the cake should spring back when touched when they are done just like baking a regular cake.  Now this is the best guess at how long to bake them for, you'll have to adjust cooking times to suit where you live.
 Here they are fresh out of the oven!  Don't they look amazing just like this.  I took them out of the water and let them cool.  They will drop back a bit into the jar when they are cooled so it's ok if they stick over the top right now.  Once they are cooled you can add your frosting and sprinkles!  What is a cake without some sprinkles right?   I decided to pipe on the frosting but you can just spread it on with a knife too. 

HAPPY

BIRTHDAY
 
 Bacon in My Pocket!

Don't they look great!  What a fun way to have some cake and impress someone too.  They kids were excited that we will be having rainbow cake after dinner tonight.  Of course I had to sample one first just to make sure it was safe to eat! Hazards of the job right?
 
 A huge THANKS again for all your great support over the past year! I hope to continue to bring great ideas, tips, tricks and recipes that you can use to keep some more of that bacon you bring home in your own wallet!

4 comments:

  1. nom nom Nom NOm NOM NOM

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to my Fav Blog!!!
    -Kristina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww.. thanks guys! I really appreciate all my readers. :) And the cake was perfect dessert to have after our grilled pizza (yes the post is still to come on that one! It's amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the great recipes...keep them coming. I really enjoy reading your blog...

    ReplyDelete