Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mystery Meat Meal?

I've told you about our mystery noodles before, well this is all about the meat! Now when I say mystery meat, I don't mean the package of stuff you pulled out of the freezer but have no clue what it is because you forgot to mark it or it's so freezer burnt it's not recognizable.  I've found stuff like that before, trust me it's just best to toss that stuff!  But have you every had a package of meat in the fridge or freezer and you're wondering what should I make out of this?  Any time I have that, I use this recipe.  Oh and the other thing I love about this recipe, it's a crock pot meal!  I love my crock pot. I dump all the stuff in it in the morning, and by dinner I have a cooked meal with very little work.   This is perfect for a busy day or one that you don't feel like cooking.  It saves us from heading out for pizza or fast food too!

Country (mystery meat) crock pot dinner:
1 package of meat- this time I used pork chops
1 can cream of something soup- I used mushroom
1 soup can of water
1/4 cup chopped onion
4-5 med peeled, cut carrots
3-4 med cut up potatoes
1 tsp season salt
1/4 tsp pepper

In medium or large crock pot place soup, water and seasoning.  Mix well.  Add in your meat.  This can be anything. This time around I used pork.  But I've made it with thin beef steaks, ground burger, chicken or even turkey.  They all work.  If I'm making chicken or turkey I use cream of chicken soup in stead of mushroom soup.

Next chop some onions and toss them into the soup and meat mix. 

Do you hate chopping onions? This one was really bad and made even Bacon Jr cry while he was sitting at the kitchen table doing his homework. But what I really hate is when my hands smell like onions for DAYS afterward.  Want to know a trick to get rid of the smell?  When you are done cutting, wash your hands with a spoon. I put some soap on my hands, grab a spoon and scrub away. Then rinse like normal.  Takes the smell away every time. This works with a lot of things, I wash my hands like this after I use peppers or garlic too. 

Cover and turn the crock pot on high.  This recipe calls to cook this on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. So adjust your time as needed.  When I'm about 2-3 hours out from when I want to eat I add the veggies.  You can add this right away if you are cooking it on low too. 

I cut my peeled carrots into little carrot coins and toss them in. 
Potatoes get chopped as well. It's up to you if you'd like to peel them, I don't since that's where all the good stuff is and the kids eat the peels and don't even know it's good for them!  You can add other veggies if you'd like, use up what ever you have so it doesn't go to waste. 
Toss them all in and give it a good mix around.  Then put the lid back on.  Let it cook until the meat and veggies are both done.
Yes sometimes I let it go long enough and everything is falling apart!   It turns it more into a stew that way.  Serve it with some fresh baked biscuits, toast or just buttered bread.  Dinner is ready!

1 comment:

  1. Do you think I could start the meat in there while frozen? I have some pork chops but they are SOOO very thin, I bought them from a mexican market, Ive never seen pork chops this thin lol, so thought maybe they wouldnt get so overcooked that way?? Carmen

    ReplyDelete