Thursday, November 10, 2011

Feels like Fall outside

Do you ever notice how your meals change with the season?  At least they do for us. Perhaps that's because we have four seasons in Minnesota.  In the summer we stick to more light meals, grilling, and salads.  But in winter its the food that makes you feel all warm and cozy inside.  This meal is defiantly one of those!  I've been asked by a few readers for this recipe since it was on our last meal plan.  It's super easy to make and reminds me of thanksgiving.  You have to try it.

Chicken Supreme:
1lb chicken breast cut up
2- small packages roast beef sandwich meat (like buddig or store brand)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup water
2 cups shredded cheese (your choice, I use co-jack, swiss, provolone, I like to mix it up sometimes!)
1 box stove top stuffing
 


First preheat the oven to 350*.  Grease a 9x13 pan generously and set aside.  Open up the two packages of roast beef meat and cut into small squares.  Sprinkles these all over the bottom of the pan you just greased.  Next layer on the cut up chicken. 


Now for the next layer (aren't layers fun?! Ok so Ma Bacon may be a little over tired here. We've had a busy start to November with Mr. Bacon's birthday and Little Miss Bacon's birthday back to back.  Oh and keep watching, I will be posting our fun frugal birthday party we had for Little Miss Bacon too!).  Take your shredded cheese and sprinkle it over the chicken.  I used co-jack for this dinner. I also happened to have a few slices of swiss cheese left over in the fridge that needed to be used up.  So I broke them up and placed them on top.  You don't need to add more cheese unless you are like me and was born in the great cheese state of Wisconsin! (GO PACKERS!)  Yes we eat a lot of cheese at our house.

Now in a small bowl add your soup and water.  Mix it well. 
Take the soup mix and pour it over the cheese.  See I told you this would be easy to make!
Next take your box of stuffing (no need for it to be name brand, it was just what I had in the pantry) and dump it in the bowl you used for the soup mix.  If you'd like you can rinse the bowl first, I don't mind getting messy though.  Add in the recommended amount of HOT water but no butter according to the box.  I just use hot water from the tap since ours comes out so hot.  You don't need to boil the water first at all. Just mix the stuffing with warm water in the bowl. Sometimes I even use my hands for this step.





Sprinkle the stuffing over the top.  Now it's all ready for the oven.  Bake at 350* for 1 hour. 

That's it, when it's done let it cool a few minutes before serving.  I make some of the corn we froze and homemade buns to go with this.  Amazing diner without the thanksgiving work! 

2 comments: