Friday, September 21, 2012

I will never buy ice cream again!

Guess what's been sitting in my Amazon shopping cart for MONTHS? Nope it's not my sanity! HA, give up?  I've been drooling over an ice cream maker.  In fact a Cuisinart ice cream maker. I try to rationalize how it would make sense to actually buy it. I'm not one for machines that only do one thing. Also we have an electric ice cream maker sitting in a box in our garage. But it's kind of a pain to use.   I also debated about the kitchenAid ice cream maker since I already have the mixer and Sister Bacon raves about hers.  Oh the decisions.  One thing I knew for sure is that I would love to make more homemade ice cream. If you've never had it you are missing out. There is nothing better than that first dip of silky soft ice cream. I also like I can control what goes in it.

So the ice cream maker debate continued on, should I get it? Should I wait for Christmas or a birthday present? Should I just dig out the one from the garage and struggle to make it more often with the machine we have? Oh the decisions!  Many days I just ignore it sitting in my amazon cart.  That was until the one day I stopped by a garage sale this summer.  And guess what was staring at me, yes my ice cream machine. And it was BRAND NEW in the box for $8!  Shocked to say the least I snatched that box and wouldn't let go.  I'm pretty sure there would have been a fight if anyone even came near me to ask what was in the box!  For $8 this thing was coming home with me and I have to say I love it.  I'm glad I waited to get a good deal on it but if I knew how easy it would be to make homemade ice cream I would have splurged sooner and bought one!

So if you are like me and have been wondering if you should get one or not, don't hold back!  You won't be disappointed at all. 

Since it was new it still have all the paper work with it and the kids and I thumbed though all the recipes too. We decided our first try at it was going to be just basic vanilla with some extras to add in. 
Here is the basic Vanilla recipe my machine calls for. This recipe will work with any ice cream maker that has a 1.5 qt bowl capacity.

Vanilla ice cream
1 cup cold whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1-2 teaspoons vanilla to taste

that's it! How awesome is 4 ingredient ice cream? You can substitute lower fat's in this recipe. This first time we made it we used half and half instead of heavy cream and skim milk instead of whole.  I also have decreased my sugar to 1/2 cup instead and the kids (or Mr. Bacon for that matter) have noticed a difference.

Mix the milk and sugar in a large bowl until the sugar is dissolved, then add in the cream and vanilla. Stir until everything is mixed well.  Pour the liquid into your ice cream bowl, add what every parts your machine says and turn the thing on!  Can you see the kids had a blast watching it go around!

Even Bacon Bit needed to take a look!

Around and around it goes!  It can be a bit noisy but no more so than the kids!  The process takes about 25- 30 minutes to get ice cream.  While it was mixing we decided to crush up a pack of m&m's to mix into the ice cream. We added about 3/4 cup of them during the last 5 minutes of making ice cream.  
Let me tell you it was AMAZING! So much the kids and I ate it all for dessert that night! Yes we did save a small bowl for Mr. Bacon too.  But the next day we decided we should make a second batch just to make sure it still tasted good. Right? Ok so use what ever excuse you want, once you have homemade ice cream you'll want it every day!


This time while it was mixing up we decided to chop up some Reese's peanut butter cups. 
 Again about 3/4 of a cup full.  And add them during the last 5 minutes of mixing the ice cream.


Mixing, mixing, mixing... done!
Delicious homemade ice cream. Yes this tasted just like a DQ blizzard only better! We really do enjoy our ice cream maker, my only regret was not getting it sooner!

10 comments:

  1. We had one of those at the B&B I used to work at and it's been on my Amazon wish list ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this. My husband came home with one of these last summer. One of his customers gave it to him, a little old lady she said she never used it. It has been sitting in the closet but it is about to be dusted off and put to use. I was thinking it was going to be difficult and I never even bothered to try. My loss. Can't wait to use it maybe even tonight because I have all of the ingredients in the house. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you updated your blog more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love ours too, but it was way more expensive to make homemade ice cream than buy it off the shelf. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here, Anonymous. It sucks :( I wanted to say that the same thing happened to me, I found an item from my Amazon wish list at a yard sale. Actually THREE of the same item! I was really wanting to get a Yonanas machine but no way I'd pay so much for it. I found three of them for $2 each! They work just as advertised and my sister couldn't be happier with hers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I right in assuming you don't need ice to make this? Didn' see it mentioned??? Thanks. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, no you don't need ice with this maker. You need to plan ahead though and freeze the bucket. I normally keep mine in the freezer with a piece of plastic wrap over the top so it's always ready when I want ice cream. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I love my I've cream maker and have come up witj the most simple and delicious recipe. 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 1can evaporated milk, and some vanilla

    ReplyDelete
  8. love my ice cream maker.. Oh I have made Almond ice milk in mine... so good... just doesn't freeze well so you have to eat it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a machine that has a bucket you freeze. I always bought the Pre-made mixes and it made ice cream soup. I used your recipe and had the same results. After the 30 mins, do you freeze it before eating? I wonder if my bucket doesn't stay cd enough. It's the rival brand.

    ReplyDelete